Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Humbled and Thankful! Baba Ganoush!

Yesterday was...AWESOME! After Diane got off work, she picked Drew and I up and we went to the Grand Mosque for a tour. We just walked around ourselves though, as opposed to taking a formal tour. Took some amazing pictures (none that do this beauty justice though). I have been to a Mosque before, but never one of the "Grand" caliber. I have never seen anything like it in my life and I will probably never see anything like it again. It is just so well done. So much care was put into creating this Mosque, even the top of the building is coated in real gold. My words cannot do it justice, so I will post some pictures, even though they will not do it justice either. It is a sight to be seen both inside and out. Upon going into this Mosque, traditional Abaya must be acquired from the lady working out front. The Abaya is the long black gown and headdress that is traditional wear here. As women, if mine and Diane's head's were not covered, it would be disrespectful and we would have not been allowed to enter. So we put on our gowns and headdress scarves, which were very hard to keep the wind from blowing off. When I was in the presence of this majestic building and wearing the traditional wear, all I could do was thank God. Thank Him for making me, me. Thank Him for teaching me all about the Islamic culture, because I do have things to learn from them. I was thanking Him for allowing me the freedoms I have always known being born in the States, and most of all for allowing me to know Him. God is very, very good. We had to also take our shoes off to go inside. This is true of any Mosque. After we went inside and out, took our pictures, which I will also post, we went to dinner. It was entitled the Lebanese Flower. It was traditional food to this area and quite delicious! I tried chicken shawarma, various grilled meats like lamb, and vegetables. We had pita bread with hummus (which is great) and eggplant baba ganoush (which is not great). I was trying very hard to not make a face while trying and Diane was laughing. It is the same substance as hummus. Then I tried a mint lemonade, which was very good and a Turkish coffee, which was very thick and extremely strong, I was quite wired! It wasn't very good though, very slimy. I cannot wait to try Arabian Coffee! This was a very fun and cultural experience! On our way out we saw a baby kitty so we tried to feed him some of our leftovers, he wouldn't eat them. He was very dirty and skinny so we took him to the vet and left him there trusting he would get all of his shots and get fixed and adopted. We then came home. I was having some yucky Asthma stuff and was having trouble breathing, kept taking my inhaler but it wasn't helping too much. Finally got it under control though and went to sleep pretty easily. It was a terrific and blessed day. Thank you Jesus! Today I woke up early to Skype with Jackson, it is always great to see his face and hear his voice! Oh and speaking of skype, got to skype with my bestest friend Amy Jo last night! So great to see her face as well! I am not sure what today will unfold into, but I will keep you all posted! P.S. Mother-I did my Loan Exit Counseling this morning! ;) Thanks for keeping on to me and making sure I did it, I love you and miss you very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment