Sunday, June 10, 2012

Settling In! My first few days in the UAE!

I had been waiting almost a year for this day to come. The day I was going to leave the USA for the first time. I was going to fly in an airplane over the ocean for 14 hours, to visit a dear family friend in the United Arab Emirates. Abu Dhabi to be exact. So, I was busy packing, trying to make sure I was bringing all of the right things and none of the wrong things. Mom and Dad dropped me off at the airport and I was on my way. It wasn't until then that I became nervous for the first time about this trip. I was flying from Louisville,KY to Atlanta, Georgia, and then from there, straight to Dubai. The first flight was swell, and easy. It lasted about an hour and a half and I slept the entire time. Once in Atlanta I had to hop on the subway train to get to the International terminal. That was easy and quick. We boarded the plane almost right away. I was seat 47 A, or by the window. This did not turn out to be such a good thing on a flight this long because it was hard to get out of the isles to stretch and go the the restroom, but I managed. I sat next to a little girl from Pakistan, she was five and incredibly, if neither of us had fallen asleep she would have talked my ear off the entire fourteen hours. The other person in our row was a US Marine heading back to Afghanistan after a three week break at home. Three meals were served, but I probably slept at least 11 of the 14 hours. The flight was very smooth and really didn't seem to bother me. When I arrived in Dubai, I had to go through Passport control, this took entirely too long. then I had to pick up my bags and find Diane and her son Drew. My incredible friends and hosts. The only problem was, I couldn't find them. It took me almost an hour after I walked through the exits to find them. I was starting to get a little worried, but I stayed calm, asked a man at the airport for help and he took me inside to look for them, and we we finally found them. We all three thanked the man and we were on our way. Dubai is around 45 minutes away from Abu Dhabi, where Diane lives, so as we headed home, I got to see Dubai at night, which is quite a sight in itself, so full of lights and tall buildings. When we got back they showed me around the apartment and then it was time for bed. Because of the jet lag I was only able to sleep two hours. I lied in bed looking out my window walls at the ocean the lit up circular building that is quite a sight, pretty awesome! I did a lot of praying, just thanking God for getting me here safely. I got up a little before seven the first day. Drew and I took Diane to work and then just drove around the city, looking at different sights. We had to go to the mall to pick up an adapter for my computer and phone. We then picked Diane up from work and she took us to a fantastic restaurant for dinner. It was here that I learned the proper way to greet a Middle Eastern woman and had to practice. You kiss the left cheek, then the right cheek, then the left again. I felt a little funny and I's sure it was awkward, but hey, I am learning. We then went to a shopping center and Diane bought me some perfume and we looked at the bling bling gold stores, crazy stuff over here. By this time I was very jet lagged and sleepy. We came back to the apartment, started to watch a movie. Diane gave me some meds to help me sleep. This time I slept 5 hours, which was better than the two the night before. The second day, Diane worked for a while in the morning, then came back, picked Drew and me up and we went to breakfast at then to a movie. Diane and I saw The Avengers, which was very good and Drew saw Promitheus. It was a little hard for me to stay awake, during the movie, but I did it. Then we came back home, Diane cooked dinner and I crashed early with the help of her meds again. This time I slept for 9.5 hours. It was glorious. Day three we went to Dubai. First we went to the Mall of the Emirates. We were going to ski in their indoor resort, but my asthma started acting up and cold air exasperates asthma, so we just ate there and then went to the Dubai Mall and went to the aquarium and indoor zoo. It was so amazing and majestic. Took some very fun pictures and headed back home. It was such a fun day! Again, took some meds, to get me on a normal sleep schedule, this jet lag is mean. I slept almost 8 hours last night and skyped with my man for the third day in a row! It was so fabulous to see his face. I love that boy, Jackson. Working on finding a time to skype with Mom and Dad and Hannah and to wish my Daddy a happy Father's Day. Diane was very sick today, Drew didn't feel too well and neither did I so we all stayed in today. Diane did take me to the spa today though. I had a full body massage. Which, was...a new experience to say the least, and once I got over the awkward, factor, I realized how great it was and felt. Then we went to the grocery, bought a whole bunch of ice cream and came back home for dinner and ice cream. We are going to stay in tonight and just chill. I am starting to settle in and love it here. The pictures I added are the view from Diane's apartment, at night and during the day and one is of me at the aquarium. Right now I am writing this while sitting on the balcony outside of my bedroom and watching the sun set on the ocean. It's beautiful and I am so thankful to be here! I am planning to keep this up to date so all of the posts aren't as long as this one. I forgot the cord to my camera, so no pictures for now. :( So thankful to the Lord for this opportunity. I thank Diane and Drew for their hospitality and love. Thank the Lord, for bringing me here safely through all the flights and once again I pray for peace for my Momma and pray she isn't freaking out. I love you all at home and will see you when I am home! I am having a BLAST so far. Thanks to everyone, family and friends, at home for your prayers! I love you all! :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow! How long are you going to be there? You are so blessed to have this opportunity! Post more pic's please!!

    ReplyDelete